Monday, April 5, 2010

Recycle, Redirections and wRiting!

Recycle:
Yesterday got together with the family for Easter.  Whenever you venture out to someone else's house and they don't have a recycling bin available, what should you do?  Luckily, it was a family member and I just pulled out a box and set it by the trash for all the guys to recycle their cans and bottles.  I checked it occasionally and did have to pull out a few cans and wash them out, but it was worth the extra effort.  Took the box home with me and put in my recycling bin.  But, it made me think.....why wouldn't you recycle?  We have been doing it for so long, it just seems so basic now.  And, what should you do when faced in that situation at a friend or acquaintance's house?  Hide it in your purse or say something?  I believe that this is a great opportunity to bring up the subject to someone that may not be educated.  However, there is a fine line between having a open conversation about how recyclying can benefit the environment and offending your friend.  Hopefully, it is an open discussion that everyone can particpate in and it can be productive without shaming the host. I also thought about my efforts, can I do more?  Can I put in a little more effort at home, if I am willing to dig in someone else's trash?  Think about it!

Redirections:
I spent my first week mostly blogging about what I ate everyday.  I have realized that is really not the direction I want to take this blog, but it was the only thing I could think to write about if I was going to blog everyday.  My life just is not that excititng!  So, I have decided to change directions....make this what I really intended for it to be about......the environment!  While, I truly believe that my vegan diet has an environmental impact, that is not what I want it to be all about.  I will still talk about what I eat, just not everyday.  I will share special meals or new recipes I have tried.  Like the vegan cheesecake I made for Easter.  It turned out great!
It was sooo delicious and creamy with tofu and tofutti cream cheese!  I also made homemade croutons and salad dressing for the salad.
Whole wheat and pumpernickel croutons with rosemary....yummy!
Salad dressing was a take on ceasar, but veganized.  It had dijon mustard, tahini, almonds and olive oil mixed together.  This was much tastier than any processed dressing you can buy and it was so easy.  Just poured it into this cute apple juice jar.  I love it when I can re-purpose stuff I saved from the trash!

wRiting:
The last "R"!   As I continue on my journey with this blog my writing will reflect my moods and passions at the time.  I hope to entertain, but mostly I hope to learn more about myself.  Keep reading......

No comments:

Post a Comment