Sunday, April 18, 2010

What's in your recycling?

I have been recycling for so long now that it just feels natural.  We have 2 cans in the pantry. One for trash and one for recycling. We are fortunate that our city allows us to mix our recycling into one container.    We also have 2 trash bins provided by the city.  In a week our recycling bin is fuller than our trash bin.  We typically only have 1 bag of trash a week. But, I started to think, what is in our recycling bag?  So, I decided to pull it all out and take a look!
Here we have a pile of papers and junk mail, juice container, milk jug, cardboard boxes from pasta, beans/rice, tylenol, medicine and toilet paper roll.  A plastic lotion jar and an empty tylenol container.  So, I started to think about how can I reduce my trash, even if I recycle it.  I just automatically put the items in the recycle box and think I have done a good thing, but isn't it even better if I can eliminate this stuff in my life altogether or reuse it myself?  So, I googled ways to reduce to my junk mail and signed up for that....that will eliminate a lot!  I saved the tylenol container to use for traveling or a craft project.  I also saved the lotion jar to use for something else.  Would be great to hold small things or put almonds in my purse for a quick snack.  I also saved the milk jug to use for my veggie garden.  I am going to commit to being more conscious of the packaged things I buy.  I do use the bulk bins a lot, but want to do more to eliminate waste at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment